Being diagnosed with diabetes can be very overwhelming and seeing your GP is the first step to taking charge of your condition, but diabetes educators are also important members of your diabetes health care team. They can help you get started when you are first diagnosed and can also help you stay on track when you need a bit of a refresher. They will work with your GP to make sure you stay in charge by giving consistent and comprehensive help with:
- Adjusting to living with diabetes
- Accessing information and resources you need to understand your condition
- Developing and implementing a diabetes self-management plan
- Knowing how to use diabetes tablets and insulin safely
- Learning blood glucose monitoring and how to use the results in your daily diabetes decisions
- Reducing your risks of long-term health problems from diabetes
Consultations are currently available at NHC’s Wanniassa clinic in the ACT.
To make an appointment please call (02) 6178 0400.